REED Scientific are recruiting an experienced Specifications Technologist to co-ordinate and manage the site technical systems and the retailer web-based systems, to ensure that stored information relating to finished products and ingredients is current and provides the correct food safety, quality and legal information. To ensure products are manufactured to standards that meet all agreed internal or external requirements/specifications.
To collate the key performance data and generate the reports internally as required in a timely and accurate manner. To support the Technical Department in developing and maintaining a quality culture throughout the site through the provision of accurate and timely data and documentation, and by supporting the operations team to develop robust corrective action plans for quality improvements.
* Have a detailed understanding of all the major retailer specification systems to ensure the correct way of working are applied in the pack copy approval management processes to guard against the labelling errors.
* Write, approve and maintain finished product specifications and ensure that all the product specifications and labels comply with most recent legislation, guidance and customer codes of practice.
* Ensure the artwork information, claims and layout comply with UK and EU legislation and Customer requirements, and give guidance on these areas as required.
* Continually seek to improve methods to increase the current standards and ensure any deviation is dealt with effectively and efficiently.
* Review product recipes and ingredients, ensuring customer policies, code of practice and legal requirements are met.
* Share knowledge and experience with colleagues, to support growth of knowledge and ability within the team.
* Have an understanding of technical food specification writing and knowledge of Food Labelling Regulations and nutritional calculations.
* Maintain an awareness of new UK and EU food legislation to ensure that all finished product specifications and labels are current and legal.
* Create and maintain category specific guidance documentation and work as a team to ensure a consistent approach can be applied across all product ranges.
* Maintain the close interaction with NPD, Operational and Commercial colleagues, to ensure the smooth transition of product or process changes and developments ensuring deadlines are met successfully.
* Ensure the legality and quality of technical data on in house printed labels to create and maintain all aspects of label manufacture.
* Ensure all customer specification websites are kept up to date and checked frequently for news and customer expectations.
* Be the main point of contact for the customer and the site head of technical for specification writing and administration, amendments and drafting new specifications when necessary.
* Experience writing or approving food specifications using the systems of the major UK retailers.
* Experience in effective communication with retailers and suppliers.
* Experience in food legislation, its interpretation and application to food labels.
* Must have working knowledge of FIR Regulations and how to apply.
* Applied knowledge of UK / EU food labelling legislation.
* Food based degree is preferable.
* Familiar with major UK retailers' Code of Practice and labelling polices.
* Sound technical knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes.
* Strong team ethic and ability to work autonomously under own initiative.
* Good communication skills and an aptitude for attention to detail.
* Accuracy and speed are essential requirements, as are organisational skills, and a proven ability to meet deadlines.
* Highly analytical and process driven.
* Methodical and highly organised with ability to multi task.
* Calm and controlled under pressure whilst demonstrating speed and accuracy.
* Effective time management and task prioritisation.
* Confidence and clarity in decision making and able to work without supervision.