Your new role
National Highways have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Contracts and Performance Manager to join the OCSD team based primarily in Birmingham. As an Assistant Contracts and Performance Manager, you’ll manage and support the management of contracts, tendering and quality plan assessment, deliver audits, administer financial mechanisms, manage risks, implement change, and analyse performance and compliance to contribute to a best practice and value for money service.
This role will be worked on a hybrid basis, with the successful candidate spending up to 2 days per week in an office, one of which being The Cube, Birmingham.
What you’ll be leading on
- Manage and assist with the governance of specific allocated contracts (including from a commercial perspective) monitoring the performance and compliance of the contract to deliver value for money. Administer the financial mechanisms within the contract ensuring we manage the risk of financial loss.
- Carry out supplier audits, ensuring a consistent approach to supplier management and working to achieve best practice. Assess, validate, and maintain approach to measuring performance of suppliers to create efficiencies and to deliver the prioritised programme of works.
- Analyse performance and compliance data and identify variances, producing monthly performance reports to challenge underperformance, administering the performance mechanisms under the contract, sharing effective practice and supporting benchmarking activity.
- Manage the introduction of changes and new standards into the contract ensuring robust contractual governance is achieved.
- Identify contractual risks and implement changes where required, maintaining the risk register and using learning to undertake effective contingency planning.
To be successful you’ll need
- Experience of working on service-based maintenance or construction contracts, typically in the highways sector.
- Part qualified or equivalent in a Quality Management qualification (e.g., Lead Auditor) or relevant experience of supporting the auditing of contracts.
- Experience of effectively using performance measurement and management process, or ability to develop this capability.
- Understanding of procurement processes and knowledge of contracts and mobilisation / demobilisation.
- Good communication skills involved with advising.
A bit about us
Operations is at the heart of keeping the strategic road network moving and ensuring our customers get the best possible experience when using our roads.
We address over 39,000 customer enquiries every month, plan and deliver all maintenance activities on the network, drive efficiencies and improvements across our systems and roads, and respond to incidents across 4,500 miles of motorways and major A-roads that we manage. All to make sure National Highways customers have safer, smoother, and more reliable journeys.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
An informal blended working approach has been adopted for many of our roles across National Highways. We offer many different ways to work flexibly and we’re open to discuss part-time working, job shares, and flexible start and finish times.
Please wait until the interview stage before asking us about flexibility, and we will explore what is possible.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires