Catering Assistant - Forth Valley Royal Hospital
Part Time - (10 hours per week) flexible 5 hours Saturday & 5 hours Sunday
Salary - £23,750.01 plus company benefits - pro-rata
To help provide retail service that meets the expectations of the patients, staff, and visitors both in terms of quality, safety, and value for money
To maintain high cleaning standards in line with HACCP system.
To produce chilled food (such as sandwiches) of consistent high quality in accordance with agreed KPIs and Service Level Agreements across the site hospitality function. To assist in maintaining and developing key daily service financial targets within the retail outlets
- Provide a courteous and efficient catering service to patients, staff and visitors within the hospital optimising the productivity of the retail outlets.
- Prepare and or serve food to customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Optimising retail sales and demonstrating high levels of customer service.
- Cleaning of catering and service equipment including floors, work surfaces, and related equipment manually and by use of machine to hygiene standards.
- Operate a cash register and handle cash in accordance with the cash handling procedure
- To maintain food safety and hygiene standards in your work area and apply the food safety procedures applicable in work area.
- To actively upsell retail promotions to maximise revenue opportunity as well as cost effectiveness.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in line with Health and Safety, Quality and Serco and Board policies and procedures and all documentation and work records are completed accurately.
- To correctly use and take care of all equipment and materials associated with tasks and immediately report any faults to a team leader.
- Store goods correctly and use stock on a rotational basis to optimise sales and minimise food wastage.
- Participate as a full member of the team, e.g., supporting and training other staff, participating in team meetings, working flexibly as required to cover other members of the team.
- Use judgement and empathy to ensure appropriate caring and supportive communication to enhance customer experience
- Perform tasks wearing the correct uniform and protective clothing at all times.
- Participate in team briefs, toolbox talks and all training, to ensure your knowledge and skills are up to date Undertake other ad hoc duties as prescribed by manager and within scope of skill and capability
What you will need to do the role:
Systems & Equipment:
IT equipment incl. Display Screen Equipment. Tills
All FM equipment
- Basic skills training, e.g., Food preparation, Basic Food Hygiene, Diet and Allergen awareness
- Requires full knowledge of Serco and NHS working practices and procedures and Health and Safety requirements including infection control and Food Hygiene (training will be provided)
- Good Communication Skills, e.g., communicating with customers and colleagues
- Good Customer Care Skills, e.g., for communicating with customers and increasing retail spend
- Completing of mandatory training, e.g., manual handling/risk assessment/fire safety training
- Able to work to agreed standards and follow work instructions
- Flexible to respond to changing demands, and to work across retail functions
- Empathetic - using judgement, understanding and empathy to support patients
- Safety conscious
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Be trained in the correct way of carrying out activities safely and efficiently and in the safe use of different types of machinery and equipment, such as loading/unloading trolleys, plating, and portioning food items, operating tills, dismantling and reassembling equipment.
- Correctly use protective equipment
- Ensure the Health and Safety of self and other hospital users
- Demonstrate a flexible approach e.g., when asked to change routines
- Be multi skilled and flexible when undertaking all activities
- Use degrees of physical effort for all activities, such as: standing/ mobile for the majority of the shift; lifting stocks / supplies; pushing and pulling trolleys Flexible to work across retail functions. Day to Day operations may dictate business priorities and areas of work with short or no notice period
- Maintain level of general awareness during working day. Short periods of concentration and responding to customer enquiries and complaints.
- Display resilience and emotional intelligence to read and appropriately respond to patients and relatives during frequent interactions, where there will be occasions of distress, deterioration, and bereavement.
- Work under pressure in a busy department to tight deadlines while maintaining professional image.
- Occasional exposure to physical aggression with patients or visitors, escalating to security and reporting as necessary.
- Working area can get hot and humid
What we offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Simply Health Plans, and more.
- Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals such as Merlin Attractions, Mobile Phone discounts, Cinema discounts, Leisure, and Hospitality discounts.
- A fantastic culture and supportive team where you'll get the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- Company discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- Interesting and enjoyable work.
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the 'Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.