As a Design Engineer, you are responsible for owning and delivering work packages within the applications engineering function, achieving on time product delivery and compliance to customer and airframe specifications and to the regulatory requirements. You will work closely with other functional teams and external stakeholders to ensure effective & efficient configuration, customisation and design of aircraft seating products.
- To deliver linefit and retrofit engineering projects on time, to specification, ensuring compliance to the airframe and regulatory (CAA, EASA and FAA) requirements.
- To ensure that all airframer, integrator and customer requirements are successfully negotiated and met.
- To provide technical guidance and co-ordination to the applications engineering team and to have technical sign off of engineering changes and design releases.
- To work by best practice of modular assembly build and configuration is followed to ensure the team maximise productivity, quality of output and agility to customise the baseline product.
- Support the Supply Chain and Quality teams to aid suppliers to deliver to the required quality and specification.
- Continually drive the design towards DFM (design for manufacture) and DFA (design for assembly).
- Generate and contribute to the generation of customer delivery timing plans, and actively engage in measures to adhere to plan.
- Drive problem solving activities related to design, development, quality, and manufacturing issues.
- Take responsibility for assigned elements of the seat design, ensuring parts and assemblies are designed to achieve an integrated seat and aircraft installation design solution.
- Produce high quality 3D & 2D design definition using Solidworks and PDM, along with supporting documentation.
- Substantiate designs from a 3D perspective to ensure clash detection and DFA have been evaluated.
- Validate & develop design through evaluation of prototypes where appropriate.
- Liaise with external customers to ensure design requirements are understood and achieved.
- Conduct presentations externally at critical reviews to the customer.
- Liaise with certification, test and stress teams to ensure designs meet the structural and aircraft airworthiness requirements.
- Manage, track and report to ensure adherence to programme deliverables on time and to the right quality.
- Support multiple customer programmes in parallel.
- A Mechanical Engineering Degree (or equivalent).
- Proficient user of CAD and PDM systems with experience of best practice modelling and drawing techniques.
- Experience of delivering aircraft interiors product that is compliant to the airframe spec and CAA, EASA & FAA regulatory requirements
- Experience of working on mechanical product delivery programmes in a design, and manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrable experience in planning and executing complex activities.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Diligent, enthusiastic, and driven, with an excellent work ethic, and a "can do" attitude.
- Highly adaptable and capable of making decisions in a fast and pressured environment.
- Resilient and determined to overcome obstacles to project completion.
- Solidworks and PDM experience
- Experience of delivering product in an aircraft seating environment.
- MS Project proficiency