Families & Welfare Lead Administrator
UK Defence Academy (Jubilee Community Centre)
Shrivenham, SN6 8LA
Full time - Permanent
Salary of £23,030.80 plus benefits
Serco have an exciting opportunity to join the team as a Families and Welfare Lead Administrator based inside the Jubilee Community Centre which is just outside of the main entrance of the Defence Academy in Shrivenham, Swindon.
You'll provide effective Administrative and Secretarial support to the Families and Welfare Office for Shrivenham Station, ensuring a high standard of administrative support across the Service Families welfare support area. You will work collaboratively with the customer, becoming a key member of the Welfare support team in a very active, customer facing and rewarding role.
Main responsibilities of the role include:
- Carry out reception duties and act as a focal point for all visitors to the Families and Welfare Office and Jubilee Centre, dealing with enquiries and questions as necessary.
- Provide Administrative and Secretarial support for the Station Welfare Officer and the Welfare Warrant Officer.
- Carry out monthly checks to include First Aid, Health and Safety and Fire.
- Act as Secretary for Shrivenham Station Welfare meetings and other meetings as required, including the drafting of calling notices and agendas, along with the drafting of minutes and their subsequent distribution - following approval.
- To ensure that adequate stationery levels are maintained for the department and are re-ordered as required.
- The maintenance of office, community centre notice boards and the tv, including the creation of electronic slides.
- Arrange the distribution of the quarterly Shrivenham Station Community News Magazine to the Married Quarters, in Liaison with volunteer distributors as necessary.
- Arrange/assist with office functions, coffee mornings and events including annual and ad hoc Meet and Greet events, representing the Families and Welfare Dept. (Some require attendance outside of normal working hours; however, notice will be given).
What you need to do the job:
- Previous experience in a Welfare/Customer Service facing role.
- Previous Administration and/or Secretarial experience.
- Knowledge/understanding of general office practices.
- Ability to demonstrate electronic calendar management
- PC literate, with experience in MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate at all levels, using a variety of communication methods (spoken, written, behaviour).
The Defence Academy sits within a beautiful and secure site which hosts 2 lakes and is surrounded by acres of scenic woodland. The Academy trains the future commanders and staff officers of all three UK Armed Services and those from many countries around the world. Other benefits of working on this site include:
- Free, secure onsite parking.
- Opportunity to join many sports and activity clubs (heavily subsidised subscription costs).
- Gym membership, the site boasting 2 fully equipped gymnasiums.
- 18-hole golf course (annual membership circa £375).
- Fully equipped riding stables, with the opportunity for lessons.
- Other sporting facilities include tennis courts, Astro-turf football pitches and much more.
What we offer:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and the chance to purchase additional days.
- Serco discounts which include cinema, entertainment and online shopping discounts, discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- We are constantly challenging ourselves and each other to deliver brilliantly, and you will too, working in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Wisdom app, Health Cash Plans, and more.
- A wealth of career development training to suit your future aspirations. These range from role specific training, leadership coaching, formal study and much more to support you to build your career with Serco.
- A safe and supportive culture.
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Gold Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.