Flight Test Engineer for Zephyr High Altitude Long Endurance Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
The Airbus Zephyr is a world record breaking High Altitude Long Endurance solar-electric powered Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) capable of persistent operations in the stratosphere.
Following our successful test flying campaigns over the last three years we now have the opportunity for a Flight Test Engineer to join our team as we continue to build our Test & Evaluation capability. Working predominantly from Farnborough, UK, this role will see the successful candidate regularly deploy overseas to remote locations.
We welcome applications from all backgrounds and experience, although you will need to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK, as well as have the ability to travel overseas. We are not able to obtain work visas to enable living and working in the UK, although visa support will be provided where required for overseas operations. All travel, accommodation and meals are provided when working overseas.
This is your opportunity to be part of an exciting experimental programme at the cutting edge of global RPAS operations.
Reporting To - Airbus HAPS Connectivity Solutions Ltd Chief Engineer
You will be responsible for the safe and effective delivery of Zephyr Flight Test & Evaluation as part of a wider team, encompassing the following tasks:
· Work collaboratively with the Flight Operations and Engineering teams to safely and effectively plan, execute and report on Flight Test Engineering activities
· Conduct Flight Test Engineering activities against system-wide T&E objectives
· Manage Flight Test risk to ALARP and tolerable levels
· Direct the safe and effective delivery of Flight Test Engineering activities in deployed locations around the world
· Share and develop best practice to enhance the flight test & evaluation of the Zephyr air system
· Excellent analytical, interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
· Ability to make and implement complex technical risk-based decisions under pressure in a small-team environment
· Hold a Higher National Diploma (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
· Ability to work well as a team member
· Fluent in English to negotiation standard (minimum ICAO Level 4), have the right to live and work in the UK, and be willing and able to deploy overseas for extended periods
· At least two years Flight Test Engineering experience
· Working knowledge of flight physics and avionics systems
· Competent in the use of IT software, including Microsoft Office
· Able to meet UK DVLA Group 2 or medical standards or a minimum of Class 3 aviation medical standards from an ICAO contracting state.
· Hold a Bachelor's degree (or higher) in an Engineering discipline
· Qualified Cat A or Cat B Flight Test Engineer from a recognised Test Pilot School
· Previous UAS / RPAS experience, particularly BVLOS operations
· Knowledge of UK, US and European regulatory environments
· Experience with COTS or bespoke Flight Test Instrumentation
· Aviation experience as flight crew or engineer, either military or civil
· Training in, or understanding of, CRM, NOTECHs, TEM policies and practises
· An understanding of the technical, operational and environmental factors affecting Zephyr (or HAPS in general).
Guidant Global (Airbus) is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.