Health Food Safety Manager -Fixed Term contract 12 months
Home based role with UK wide travel
Full time Monday- Friday
Salary up to £55,000 per annum (dependent upon experience) plus bonus and other benefits
Driving licence essential and company car provided
Serco are currently recruiting for a Health Food Safety Manager on a fixed term basis to join the Food safety team. Reporting into the Head of Food Services, the purpose of this role is to drive, support and embed a thriving Food Safety culture and its associated governance requirements as set out in the Food Safety Management System.
This role requires a working knowledge of relevant laws and guidance, detailed knowledge and understanding of Food Safety requirements as set out in the FSMS and sound operational understanding and experience of the retail and patient catering provision at the contracts/sites within the Health BU. This role will need to build close relationships with the site Catering Managers, HSE leads, Solution Leads.
- Provide support and guidance to each of the contracts/sites to ensure effective implementation of and compliance with the Food Safety Management System, including the management of any changes relating to new or emerging requirements/guidance. Seek support and guidance from the Food Service Lead for more complex issues.
- Provide central support and guidance to drive and support continuous improvements in the management of Food Safety across the BU, and the minimisation of Food Safety Risks in both Patient and Retail catering.
- In consultation Head of Food Services develop and maintain Local Operating Procedures (LOPs) for their BU, including HACCP plans and associated documentation. To include challenging existing processes to ensure that the highest possible standards of compliance requirements are met and continuously improved.
- Ensure all necessary reviews and audits of the LOPs are captured on the local assurance plan, with reports and actions uploaded to Assure - minimum annually and following any operational/business changes or updates in legislation, guidance or industry best practice.
- Participate in a central Food Safety Forum/Community of Practice for the BU, for all Catering Managers/Service Leads and other identified stakeholders to share best practice and develop continuous improvement in Food Safety compliance and other activities.
- Ensure measures are in place centrally to support the validation and verification of HACCP plans, including the arrangements for suitable and sufficient auditing.
- Maintain an overview of Food Safety compliance across the BU, ensuring Food Safety issues are correctly reported and recorded.
- Provide oversight of Food Safety activity and compliance status in accordance with the reporting/line management structure for the BU.
- Maintain an overview of Food Safety training requirements across all contracts/sites and co-ordinate centralised training where necessary.
- In conjunction with the Head of Food Safety UK&E, co-ordinate investigations into major Food Safety-related incidents as necessary.
- Liaise with dedicated Primary Authority as and when required.
- Work with the Saffron SME to ensure all sites are aware of any product recalls and allergen changes in a timely manner.
What you'll need to do the role:
- Level 4 Food Safety or relevant experience and a commitment to work towards.
- Experience of working within a Health contract catering environment
- Able to demonstrate autonomous working
- Food safety audits - experience of developing, participating in, analysing, completing reports and disseminating findings
- Able to demonstrate involvement in guideline/protocol information development
- Strong IT skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective stakeholder management skills
- Able to present information in an accurate and logical manner
- Effective member of a team
- Able to cope with difficult situations
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- Effective time management skills
- Able to keep accurate and legible records
- Problem solving skills
- Must hold proof of right to work in the UK
- Hold a current UK Driving License and flexible to travel to sites across UK
- Experience in Food Safety Management System development is desirable
What we offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships
- A safe and supportive culture
- Interesting and enjoyable work
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
We see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates. We're a proud holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard and we actively encourage applications from females, those with disabilities or from an ethnic minority background.