About Run An Empire
Run An Empire is a location based mobile game that encourages people to get active. Players capture territory in the real world by moving through it - whether cycling, running or walking. They are challenged to build the greatest empire in their neighbourhood and lead their people from the dawn of time into the space age. The current iteration has been live in soft launch since October 2019 and is showing positive trends in early retention and conversion.
Background on the Role
We're hiring for someone excited about architecting a game server for growth. You will be working on all aspects of our backend with a focus on delivering new features. The game client is written in Unity on top of an AWS Lambda built in Node.js. Ideally you are experienced with AWS, Node.js and willing to take a proactive approach to all parts of the technical stack.
- Working with the product and game design team to build new features.
- Maintaining and developing our serverless backend system.
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling the application to support load changes.
- Implementing and maintaining partner services such as ad networks, analytics and fitness app integrations.
- Continuous Integration
- Ensuring a high level of code quality.
- AWS (RDS, Lambda, API Gateway) and the Serverless framework.
- Experienced with Node.js
- Understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Some knowledge of MySQL or other flavours of SQL.
- Experience of having worked in a SCRUM team or agile environment
Nice to Have Skills
- Extremely organised with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ahead of industry best practices on a product and development level. (Developing ideas for new programs, products, or features by monitoring industry developments and trends)
- Interest in free-to-play games
- Happy working in a collaborative environment
- Excited to work in a small, agile team
- Focus on efficiency, user experience, and process improvement.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong problem solving and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or with a group.
- A fun & social working environment in central London
- Package includes competitive salary, share options and pension
- Flexible working hours
- Weekly working from home days
- A supportive environment to grow your skills including budget for personal development
- The chance to help shape a business from a very early stage, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technologies and disciplines
- Studio based in Somerset House at the heart of an artistic and creative hub called Makerversity (laser cutters! 3D Printers! Games nights!)
- Laptop provided
- 33 days holiday and no expectation to work outside of regular hours
- Your birthday off!
- Flexible, tailored career progression within the games industry
Who should apply?
We're open to applications from anyone interested in backend architecture, whether you're just starting out or an industry veteran of 10 years. Many of our current team graduated through our internship programme. Please no recruiters at this time.