The Airbus Zephyr programme is looking to greatly expand the size of its operational fleet of aircraft and requires the development of new flight management software.
Zephyr is an ultra-light weight, solar electric aircraft which is able to fly persistently, day and night in the stratosphere, for months at a time. The current single tail variant (Zephyr S) completed its successful maiden flight during Engineering Flight Trials (EFT) in Arizona USA in July and August 2018, achieving an endurance of 25 days, 23 hours and 57 minutes (the world record for unrefuelled flight). It continues to pursue and break world records.
The flight management software will run in the Zephyr Operations Centre and provide an interface between the UAV operators and the fleet of remote aircraft.
The successful candidate will be involved in all stages of the development of the ground software, from gathering requirements from stakeholders, through design, programming, testing, deployment, and ongoing maintenance.
You will be subject to a BPSS check (including a criminal record check).
Tasks and accountabilities
· Gather and document requirements for new software developments
· Software design and formal review process
· Software coding, including prototype development and responding to user feedback during development
· Specification of test criteria and development of test procedures
· Production of documentation: including design documents, user manuals and operator training materials.
· Ensure software retains MISRA-C++ compliance and high-levels of statement coverage
· Assist in gaining and maintaining RTCA DO-278C compliance
Essential - Skills/Experience Required
We appreciate that not everyone will have all the skills/experience listed below, and would welcome applications even if you do not meet all the requirements.
· PC application development (preferably for Windows OS)
· C++ software development
· HMI/GUI application development
· Requirements modelling and documentation
· Software architecture and Detailed Design documentation
· Network protocols and associated APIs
· Some experience with control room software would be useful
· Familiarity with the V-model of application development
· Experience developing safety related/critical software to RTCA DO-278 would be useful
· Experience conforming to MISRA- C++ coding standard would be an advantage
Guidant Global (Airbus) is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.