Important: Due to the nature of the role, all candidates will need to be prepared to undertake DV clearance and therefore as a minimum be living in the UK 10 years.
Working: Possible Flexible and some remote working potentials.
Want to Join a business who's capabilities address the highest classification levels of High Grade and Type 1 National Security, across a growing and thriving sector?
A reputable business who, have a number of awards, most recently been named as an Award winner (Gold Award) in MoD Defence Employer Recognition Scheme!
Brand new site for 2023! Onsite Café, Free parking, Table Tennis and more!
Full range of company benefits, flexible working, training, development and clear career progression!
The Head of Systems Engineering role provides the technical direction, leadership and management on a strategic and tactical operational level for the Systems Engineering and Test team and across the business
As the Head of Systems Engineering you will be providing technical leadership and line leadership, line & resource management of a Systems Engineering and Systems Test team of ~25 engineers, delivering multiple concurrent research, development and production programmes ranging from tens of £k to multi £m.
- Develop, train, mentor and lead a team of professional Systems and Systems Test Engineers in order to provide a capable and multi-skilled team.
- Recruitment of team members to meet project and business resource profiles; identifies performance shortfalls and manages team performance as required.
- Responsible for technical direction and exerting technical influence across strategy and projects, such that the optimal approach, architecture, design, and toolchain are selected for the short and long-term business success.
- Responsible for the design, development and delivery of high quality Systems Engineering and Systems Test artefacts for multiple projects, in accordance with project and company process, and project schedules, to ensure the delivery of products that meet their requirements.
- Accountable for Systems Engineering and Systems Test input into bids, internal and customer design reviews to ensure a successful outcome.
- Work closely with the system, hardware, firmware and software architects to ensure consistency, design for modularity and re-use, and technical excellence.
- Ensure that the process captured in the Business Management System is actively maintained, reflects best practice, and that the project and company Requirements Management Plans, Systems Engineering Management Plans and Configuration Management Plans are adhered to, in order to achieve successful audits.
- Generate and review technical proposals, and provide estimates for the associated effort, costs and risks, for bids and proposals, leading to contract awards and project delivery.
- Work closely with project management and engineering project leads to create proposals that drive down project costs and increase margin.
- Manage security of information as defined in the Security manual to ensure compliance with Government regulations.
- Previous experience of line management, resource management and identifying and implementing process improvements.
- Significant experience and a full understanding of Systems Engineering, the V-Model and associated processes/lifecycles.
- Significant experience of developing requirements and establishing a compliant systems design.
- Experience in writing high quality technical documentation and the formal technical review of such material.
- Experience working as a technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) and developing new areas of expertise as and when required.
- Advanced knowledge of System Engineering practices, methodologies, processes, techniques and technology trends.
- Prior technical experience of DOORS, UML, SEBoK, Enterprise Architect and SysML.
- Prior experience of hands-on development of either hardware, software or firmware development, particularly in an embedded environment.
- Degree in an engineering, mathematical or science-based subject desirable.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security is desirable
For full information, please get in touch!