Gibralter – The Governor is provided with a residence where they will live. They will be expected to use this for official entertaining
The Governorship of an Overseas Territory can be one of the most challenging and rewarding roles in public service. The constitutional link between the UK and its Overseas Territories brings with it a range of rights and responsibilities on both sides. The Governor is at the heart of making this relationship work; working with the Government of Gibraltar and HMG to represent Gibraltar interests in Whitehall and to ensure understanding of HMG’s policies in Gibraltar. The role of the Governor is a high profile and highly political one with the scrutiny that can follow.
The UK, with Gibraltar, is negotiating with the EU on Gibraltar’s future relationship with the EU. Whilst we expect those negotiations to be complete by the start of this posting, there is also the chance that we will face a further period without a negotiated outcome. The territory could be going through a period of change as it adapts to a new relationship.
Gibraltar’s location means security issues remain a strategic priority. Under the Gibraltar Constitution, the Governor (and ultimately the UK) holds competence over defence and internal security issues, so you will lead on assessing and mitigating potential threats to Gibraltar and UK interests, working closely with MOD, Commander British Forces (CBF) Gibraltar and the Government of Gibraltar. You will chair, jointly with the Gibraltar Chief Minister, the Gibraltar Contingency Council, leading on the defence and security aspects of Gibraltar’s resilience. As Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Gibraltar Regiment, you will work closely with CBF, supporting his objectives to ensure a modern agile military presence in Gibraltar.
An effective Governor will lead with authority and be able to show a genuine interest in the people, economy and society of Gibraltar, working with community leaders to promote a diverse and inclusive society. The Governor is patron of a number of Gibraltar charities.
You will lead a small team to deliver quality outcomes. Working in collaboration with Europe Group in FCDO and across Whitehall, you and your team will provide policy advice and guidance in support of UK objectives for Gibraltar. You will continue the progress made to modernise corporate practices within the Convent (The Governor’s Office) and play a full part in the corporate leadership of the Europe Network.
• To represent HM the King in Gibraltar.
• To act in accordance with, and uphold, the Constitution of Gibraltar.
• To exercise executive responsibilities, in accordance with UK Government policy towards Gibraltar, including external relations, defence, internal security and certain functions in relation to the appointment to public offices in Gibraltar.
• To work collaboratively with the Chief Minister and Government of Gibraltar, and support UK Government policy and activity.
• To act as Commander in Chief of the British Forces in Gibraltar. The Chief of the Defence Staff will ensure any appointee, civilian or military, is fully supported and briefed to discharge these duties.
• To play a visible role in supporting community relations and maintain a high public profile.
• To lead a diverse team of UK based and local staff, ensuring a one team approach, with a commitment to excellence and continued improvement.
If this sounds like an environment you’d like to work in, we’d love to hear from you.
PLEASE APPLY HERE: http://bitly.ws/BHqA
Do you agree to our terms & conditions & privacy statement?
Receive updates & notifications from Ex-MilitaryCareers.com