Installation and Maintenance Supervisor
Skynet - SGS Oakhanger, GU35 9JA
Full Time, Permanent (39 hours per week)
Competitive salary plus benefits
Serco Defence delivers a wide range of support to the prestigious Skynet contract providing secure satellite communication services to the UK Government and Armed Forces.
We currently have a full-time opportunity for an Installation and Maintenance Supervisor to join the team in Oakhanger. The Installation & Maintenance Supervisor is the senior engineer co-ordinating day to day maintenance activities at the satellite ground station. They have the overall responsibility to ensure all planned maintenance activities have appropriate approvals in place before being allowed to proceed. They will also delegate tasks, ensuring team members are appropriately equipped, trained and authorised to carry out their roles.
- The daily supervision of 2nd Line Maintenance staff.
- Process all TOIL and Holiday requests form the 2LM Department team members.
- Be responsible for Absence Manager "call backs" and Return to Work interviews after an absence has been reported by a member of the team.
- Ensuring that a 365-day, on-call roster is maintained within the SGS to meet the customers' requirements and provide advice on engineering matters.
- Ensure all new services and equipment's are engineered without impacting current operations.
- Investigate and monitor in depth and ongoing faults on any system or equipment as directed by the Oakhanger Operations Manager.
- Ensure configuration control is maintained and documented.
- Undertake installation/modification work as required.
- Undertaking the role & responsibilities of on-site Radiation Protection Supervisor.
- Conduct, record and report on all fault monitoring and rectification activities.
- To review and suggest updates to Paradigm Procedures and other associated documentation.
- To escort and monitor authorised engineering contractors as directed by the SGS Operations Manager.
- Provide technical advice to Network Operations, Space Operations, Network Incident Team and to external customers as required.
- Manage Department Work Instructions in accordance with the Quality Plan.
- Ensuring that any anomalies are to be brought to the attention of the SGS Operations Manager and the Network Operations Team.
What you'll need to do the role:
- HNC/D in Electronics or equivalent qualification or experience.
- Thorough engineering knowledge of Military and Commercial Satellite Communication systems and Network architecture.
- Thorough knowledge of digital data communications, techniques and protocols.
- Full Driving Licence
- SAP PM Conversant.
- Completion of formal recognised technical courses for current operation systems: e.g. RSS, Paradigm Modems and High-Powered Amplifiers.
- Conversant with Crypto procedures and the operation and maintenance of Crypto devices.
- Competent in working the Management Segment (MS) and all Element Management Applications (EMAs)
What we offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- A safe and supportive culture
- Interesting and enjoyable work
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.