- Provide, maintain and improve assembly processes as the Space Production technical authority on satellite communication modules.
- Be the driving force behind process customisation activities for spacecraft assembly to ensure design for manufacture and implementation of innovative new technologies.
- As the internally recognised expert, be responsible for non-conformance resolution and robust second closure implementation to prevent reoccurrence.
- Support development and installation of new Manufacturing Execution Systems.
- Measure and maintain process cycle times and drive operational efficiency by reducing wastes and improving process performance
Project Customisation Phase
- Ensure design for manufacture by embedding SP best practice and supporting technical issues with the design team.
- Influence payload layout and optimise kit structure through 3D visualisation sessions.
- Work to prevent non-conformance and recurring issues by incorporating lessons learnt and innovative ideas at design level.
Project Preparation Phase
- Translate engineering requirements from design documentation to provide detailed schedule inputs to Lead Engineers based on process cycle times and sound product knowledge.
- Ensure variables that effect process durations are captured and translated into the assigned installation cycle times.
- Review and incorporate supplier handling requirements into SP operations.
- Interpret the payload BOM to assign generic integration processes for work instruction creation, including the development of procedures for new types of payload equipment.
- Review detailed assembly models to ensure the requirements for shop floor consumption are met.
- Review and approve all unplanned work requests specific to process before execution. Provide feedback to author, detailed schedule information and ensure all parts are available.
- Develop bespoke work orders when necessary.
- Provide technical input to project to ensure that new process and test methods do not compromise SP activities and production times. (Design for manufacture / test).
- Prepare inputs to assembly readiness review to support Lead Engineer.
- Undertake Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) to identify risks and implement preventative actions.
Project Operational Phase
- Monitor operational process performance and undertake Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) reviews to optimise working modes.
- Act as the technical lead for non-conformance investigations, resolution and operational support.
- Support quality reviews and perform root cause analysis.
- Produce re-work instructions based on product knowledge and robust generic procedures. Identify parts, tooling, skills and duration required to complete.
- Compile technical information required for efficient completion of transfer tasks.
- Design tooling / build aids for assembly execution.
- Lead improvement and R&D projects including implementation of innovative technology.
- Create and optimise training modules and media for assembly operations.
- Participate in the development and implementation of manufacturing execution systems.
- Good understanding and detailed experience of all types of mechanical systems.
- Lean manufacturing techniques including 5S, root cause analysis and continuous improvement.
- Manufacturing Engineering or production planning Support to operations.
- Mechanical processes including detailed assembly and fitting.
- Experience of lean engineering
- High mechanical skills and relevant experience.
- Procedures and process control.
- Practical and proactive.
- Quality driven approach with high attention to detail.
- Experience in writing engineering documents.
- Good understanding of manufacturing systems - ideally Delmia / Apriso.
- High self-motivation and ability to deal with changing priorities on a multi project basis.
- Good problem solving skills (technical, logistics and organisational).
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good time management.
- Level 6 or higher Engineering Degree
- Clean room experience
- Mechanical design / validation / experience
- Rudimentary understanding of RF properties and associated risks.
- Previous experience of telecoms payload builds.
- Lean 6 sigma green belt qualification
Education & Training
Desirable: Minimum of HNC level in a mechanical discipline. A lesser qualification is acceptable if a high level of similar industry experience can be demonstrated.
Monday to Friday days
Possible extension after initial contract duration
Base of Work
This role will be working on site full time - free parking is provided for this role
Reason for vacancy
Guidant Global (Airbus) is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.