Mate- In Port
Permanent, Full time Monday- Friday 48 hours per week. (This is not a Back 2 Back position)
Helensburgh, Clyde G84 8HL
Competitive salary plus benefits
Serco are recruiting for a Mate to join our maritime team, based in Helensburgh, Clyde. This role provides support to the Master in the operation of the vessel in a professional, effective, and economical manner to Flag State and Class Standards. You will oversee the Deck team in the operation of the tasking and support the execution of the maintenance of the vessel. There is the option for the successful candidate to live onboard.
- Plan and supervise the maintenance of all deck areas including holds, hatches and superstructure.
- In consultation with the Master, the Mate is responsible for the correct loading, discharge and ballasting of the ship having proper regard for stress, strain and stability.
- Make sure all cargo, stores and deck equipment is secure before departure and the hatches, holds and other openings are watertight.
- Be responsible for deck stores including stowage, inventory and re-ordering as required.
- As soon as practicable after joining the vessel, shall inspect those parts of the vessel under their supervision and for which they are responsible. This includes all deck machinery, records and inventory.
- Take every precaution to prevent any infringement of the Oil Pollution Regulations and work in close conjunction with the Engineer to ensure that all precautions are taken against overside spillage during bunkering and transfer of bilges.
- Shall be one of the Watchkeeping Officers of the vessel. When watch keeping, they are in control of the vessel, and shall follow all Company Procedures on navigation and observe International Regulations.
- Keep all Deck records as required by the Company.
- Shall arrange boat drills, fire drills, oil pollution containment drills and test life rafts and their launching devices regularly as per the Company's procedures.
- Be responsible for sounding all ballast and freshwater tanks and shall ensure that the proper records are kept in the Tank Sounding Book
- Be responsible for the efficient running and safe operation of the equipment under their control and will notify the Engineer of any defect.
- Unless required otherwise by the Master, and in addition to their navigational duties, to be responsible for deck fabric maintenance, the organisation and supervision of the deck department and the duties enumerated here.
- Understudy the Master so that, in the event of illness or incident, they may assume temporary command of the ship.
- Take every precaution to ensure there are no infringements of Oil Pollution Regulations and work in close conjunction with the Engineer to ensure that all precautions are taken.
- Take the station allotted to them by the Master during berthing and unberthing operations and communicate with the Master/Pilot.
- Carry out any other duties as may be reasonably requested by the Master.
- To be fully conversant with the use of all safety equipment, emergency procedures and vessel contingency plans.
- Be familiar with safety routines and ensure necessary safeguards are in place before any work commences.
- Be Familiar with company safety management procedures-specifically:
- Permit to Work/Tag Out Systems
What you'll need to do the role:
- Qualifications held must be in line with relevant MHR 202.9 Port Certification Matrices
- Excellent communication skills
- Health, Safety and Risk Management awareness
- Must be able to obtain Home Office Security Clearance
What we offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive App, Simply Health Plans, and more.
- Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals such as Merlin Attractions, Mobile Phone discounts, Cinema discounts, Leisure, and Hospitality discounts.
- A fantastic culture and supportive team where you'll get the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- Company discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- Interesting and enjoyable work.
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities.
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.