Mechanical Engineer - HMP Fosse Way
Leicestershire, LE18 4TN
Permanent (Full-Time, 40 Hrs)
Here at Serco we are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join us at HMP Fosse Way.
The key purpose of a Mechanical Engineer is to carry out routine mechanical engineering work, preventative maintenance and repairs, and testing of gas systems
Some of the other key accountabilities of the Mechanical Engineer are as follows:
- Ability to self-motivate.
- Ability to use own initiative and to work to tight timescales.
- Ability to prioritise workload, working in a logical and methodical manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both in writing and orally (including good telephone manner).
- Ensure that various pre planned maintenance schedules are kept up to date and maintained as may be required.
- Assist in multi trade support of other members of the FM service team in completing work.
- Complete the duties of a Mechanical Engineer in accordance with their recognised training and qualifications.
- Carry out fault finding and defect rectification to items of installed plant and equipment as may be defined and specified.
- Carry out the installation of new plant and apparatus as may be defined and specified.
- Become familiar with the operation and maintenance of the various systems and equipment installed in the whole of the premises as defined or requested.
- Carry out all duties assigned to them in a safe manner, observing all statutory regulations and the local regulations.
- Carry out investigations into the performance of the plant and equipment installed in the site and to produce related reports and recommendations as may be required.
- Assist in specifying and obtaining spare parts, and other items of equipment which may be required to ensure the continuous and efficient operation of the technical estate.
- Maintain records of tools and report this as required.
- Escort contractors around the site as and when required in accordance with written procedures.
- Flexible and proactive with a commitment to customer satisfaction and continuous improvement to working approach.
- Good interpersonal skills
What you will need to do the role
Essential Qualifications -
- Appropriately qualified having served a recognised apprenticeship or equivalent trade-based qualification.
- Mechanical Engineering Qualification (C&G, NVQ).
- Membership of relevant technical professional body desired.
- Gas Safe registered.
- Appropriate experience in both Commercial and Domestic systems.
Additional Features of the role -
- To be a team member of the Facilities "Out of hours" call out roster.
- The role is a key supporting function in the challenging environment of a secure establishment.
- The post holder is expected to function with a degree of independence.
- Meaningful and vital work - We look after around 5,000 prisoners in our prisons and been in the business for 25 years, employ 2,000 colleagues in our 6 custodial contracts so you can guarantee you'll be delivering an essential service that touch people's lives.
- A world of opportunity - Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You'll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways.
- Great people - We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You'll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse and supportive environment.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- A fantastic culture and supportive team; volunteer leave; continuous training & development opportunities
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive App, Simply Health Plans, Annual Leave Purchase Scheme and more
- Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals
- The chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion