University Hospital Wishaw, ML2 0DP
Full-Time, Permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Mon - Fri (Flexible working required)
Salary: competitive, NHS Band 5 + Company Benefits
Serco have an exciting opportunity for a Multi Skilled Technician to join our team based at Wishaw General Hospital, site has 663 beds based on one site of approximately 67,000sqm. The department is responsible for repair and maintenance of plant, equipment and building infrastructure and includes some out of hours working for essential maintenance and repair.
Reporting into the Estates Manager, you will provide specialist technical advice, support and assistance to other estates personnel and participate in the on call rota providing out of hours cover, advice and response. To carry out multi skilled work maintenance, servicing, repairs and improvement across Hospital within the specialist field.
- Provide specialist technical advise to estates personnel and on site contractors.
- Carry out multi disciplined Planned and Reactive maintenance on plant, equipment and the building infrastructure, including validation and calibration as requested by maintenance officers
- Undertaking electrical, mechanical, plumbing and building fabric repair and installation in accordance with maintenance/ installation instructions and the appropriate regulations and procedures with understanding of the operation and risks associated with the equipment and the possible impact of failure on critical areas
- Liaise with maintenance officers regarding plant or equipment failures. Report any deviation from the regulations, procedures or unsafe conditions to maintenance officer and identify and request materials and/ or services as necessary
- Accurately complete all required documentation including report sheets, work orders and test certificates
- Undertake fault finding on complex engineering services and equipment
- Use electronic technology if necessary for the management of works request or other maintenance e.g. activities BMS/CAFM as appropriate to training provided
- Be conversant with detailed engineering, electrical, plumbing services, specifications and technical guidance
- Participate in on-call rota providing emergency response out of hours
- To attend training courses including off site training when required
- Provide technical advice and support to apprentices, maintenance assistants and electrical / mechanical craftsperson's and supervise when required
- Test monitor and maintain back up systems, such as emergency electrical generators, to ensure continuity of service for patient care and all other departments
- Fault finding and analysis within complex systems/ equipment in a safe effective manner using fine tools and calibrated measuring equipment.
- Test and inspection of wiring systems using calibrated test equipment to maintain safe working environment
- Maintain all regulations in accordance to HTM2020, the Electrical Safety code for Low Voltage for competent persons, Wiring Regulations BS7671 and 17th Edition Electrical
- Test, maintain and monitor medical gases, heating and ventilating systems utilising calibrated test equipment
- Work as a skilled competent person to maintain and repair sterilizer to HTM2010 standards
- Undertake other ad hoc duties as prescribed by Estates management and within scope of skill and capability
What you'll need to do the role
- Qualified to Higher National Certificate or equivalent level plus 3 years relevant experience as Engineering Technician
- COSHH awareness
- Mathematical calculations in respect of electrical / mechanical systems and process
- Recognised electrical / mechanical trade qualification and electrical / mechanical conversion training course
- Responsibility of competent / skilled person as required by safe systems of work which include HV/LV, boilers & pressure systems, medical gases, water systems, confined spaces, sterilizers, steam boilers, tube system and other specialised systems where appropriately trained and experienced and in accordance with the relevant SHTMs or safety rules and procedures.
- Undertake electrical repair testing and ensure compliance with the latest edition of the wiring regulations BS7671 and in accordance with there competent person authorisation
- Self-motivated and work as part of a team
- Able to use own initiative in problem solving on day to day issues
- Attention to work to tight deadlines in a demanding environment
- IT skills
- Understanding of Health and Safety requirements; COSSH, risk assessment, working at heights.
- Requirement to develop own skills and knowledge
Meaningful and vital work: Working within Healthcare at Serco means that you'll play a critical role in ensuring that patients continue to receive the support that they need 24/7.
A world of opportunity: It takes a diverse team to support a hospital and we're big on internal progression. So, whether you specialise your skills, progress into team management or move into operations, you'll find all the opportunity you need to evolve your career.
Great people: Hospitals are busy places and you will find yourself interacting with staff, patients, visitors and of course your supportive team. You will be a significant part of the hospital.
What we offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme.
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- The chance to make a positive difference to the wider public.
- Interesting, varied and enjoyable work.
- A company that recognises your contribution.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the 'Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.