Your new role
Safety and Customer Service are at the heart of everything we do and is this role you will directly impact the safe running of the strategic road network minimising any adverse effects on our customers. Reporting directly to the Service Delivery Manager (On Road) you will lead a team of Traffic Officers providing guidance and directing the work of the team to ensure traffic operations run smoothly and incidents are handled effectively across the surrounding network.
You will be on a training rate of £33,260 and upon completion of training, this will be increased to £36,950. Our teams operate in a 24/7 environment with this role attracting a 25% shift allowance. As part of the role, you will work early, late and night shifts, including weekends.
This role is based at our Stanton St Quinton Outstation (near Chippenham, Wiltshire). You ideally must live within 1 hours travel distance from the outstation.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment
What you’ll be leading on
- Provide front line team management, setting personal and team objectives, maximising performance by ensuring knowledge and competence is maintained, whilst managing resources in a highly demanding operational environment.
- Assume responsibility as incident commander at scenes on behalf of National Highways, ensuring all those involved are working safely and collaboratively to resolve the incident in a timely manner.
- Lead on Health and Safety reporting requirements to ensure all staff operate in a safe manner, with regard to the safety-critical nature of the role.
- Produce staffing rotas for the team to ensure a good quality service is delivered on a consistent basis.
- Deliver staff briefings on relevant topics as required, e.g. health and safety, to ensure team have the knowledge and skills they need to operate effectively.
- Complete health and safety investigations, identifying good practice, shared learning and promoting our just culture.
To be successful
- You will have demonstrable experience of incident management and working within an operational environment.
- A strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements in a customer focussed organisation.
- Experience of managing a busy workload whilst setting objectives for the team, ensuring morale is high and that the team feel valued and suitably rewarded.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in a range of office software products to enable production / maintenance of a range of complex documents, spreadsheets and management reports.
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact email@example.com quoting reference number #4477
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires