PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Parks Operations Manager
Grade: ENPO4 £41394 (full time 40 hours)
The borough of Wandsworth has one of the richest varieties of open spaces in central London. Enable Leisure and Culture is the lead contractor employed by Wandsworth Council to manage leisure and culture services in the borough including the management and maintenance of 32 parks and open spaces.
We are looking for a suitably qualified and experienced individual to manage operational services across the existing 1600acre portfolio.
This uniquely challenging role will test your existing skills and experience in contract management, grounds maintenance, ecology, biodiversity and groundsmanship as you deliver the highest quality of green space for residents and visitors to Wandsworth.
The portfolio of green space you will be responsible for range from small pocket parks, housing sites, allotments, cemeteries, sports pitches, plus sites of regional importance in heritage and biodiversity such as Tooting and Wandsworth Commons and the iconic Grade II listed Battersea Park.
You will be expected to manage operations across a range of spaces each with their own site-specific challenges while ensuring consistent cost control within set budgets.
You will need to be reactive to challenges that may arise all year round plus ensuring plans and processes are in place to deal with planned horticultural requirements throughout the seasons.
You will be a key member of the Parks team, taking overall responsibility for the day to day management and delivery of the horticultural ground's maintenance service throughout the borough of Wandsworth.
The role is for 40 hours a week based primarily in the parks office at Wandsworth Common. You will be expected to travel around Wandsworth to visit sites and meet contractors on a regular basis.
For an informal discussion about the role contact Neil Blackley
Apply online at enablelc.org/jobs.
Closing date for applications Sunday 17 November 11.59pm
Interviews w/c 25 November
If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please presume your application was unsuccessful on this occasion.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Strictly no agencies and CVs are not accepted
Responsible to the Head of Parks for all aspects of the day-to-day management of the borough's Parks and Open Spaces.
Responsible for the efficient management and operational monitoring of the incumbent ground's maintenance contractor.
Day to day management of the Parks Operations Team plus the indirect management of a team of approx. 90 staff.
Ensure the cost-effective operation of the Parks and Cemeteries contract, which has a current value of £2.8m p/a.
Develop existing relationships with the contractor team, relevant industry bodies, sub-contractors and horticultural and amenity product suppliers to allow strategic leadership on all aspects of managing the horticultural operation and the provision of an exemplar service.
Contribute to the aims and objectives of Enable Leisure and Culture and develop an industry leading, progressive and forward-thinking team
JOB DESCRIPTION - PRINCIPAL DUTIES
1. Responsible for the day-to-day management of Parks and Open Spaces, cemeteries and Wandsworth Council's Social Services sites and highway amenity areas, ensuring that horticultural grounds maintenance, litter-picking and sports pitch maintenance is carried out together with grave-digging duties and cleaning contractor duties in accordance with the approved contract.
2. In collaboration with colleagues, responsible for ensuring the management of all water bodies, fishing lakes and fountains, including the management of pumps, aerators, irrigation systems, bore-hole water quality issues and proper management of fish stocks.
3. Responsible for the Parks Service green waste recycling programme, overseeing operations at Battersea Park with the contractor, maintaining the detailed records as required by the supervising authority, and seeking to identify further green waste recycling opportunities.
4. Responsible for ensuring that the on-site management of allotment sites takes place and work with the allotments and parks development team to identify areas for improvement.
5. Responsible for liaising with Wandsworth Council's Graffiti Teams, Pest Control, Facilities Management Service and other council departments to raise or rectify any problems identified within the parks and open spaces portfolio.
6. Responsible for the management of the Horticultural Maintenance and Cemeteries Contract, current value £2.8 million per annum. Responsible for all aspects of contract management, including maintaining all financial records, budget statements, orders, rectifications and defaults, works programmes and health and safety requirements plus any works completed and in progress.
7. Ensure that all park operations observe all established Health and Safety requirements and other regulations ensuring a safe environment for the contractor team, public and park users at all times.
8. Carry out routine monitoring of the Horticultural Maintenance and Cleaning Contractor's performance ensuring compliance with the contract specifications and the client's guidelines.
9. Monitor all instructed parks project works through to completion approving sign off where necessary, providing assessments and/or financial reports when required.
10. Responsible for the specification, procurement and project management of sports pitch renovations.
11. Maintain and develop strong working relationships with the Contractor's Senior Managers, facilitate and chair regular review meetings to assess operational performance, plan future works, evaluate outputs and implement processes in order to seek service efficiencies and improvements.
12. Ensures that customer complaints and queries relating to parks operations are investigated and dealt with promptly, answer FOI requests and day-to-day queries from colleagues and clients.
13. Work collaboratively with the Parks Development Team on future improvement projects, providing technical and horticultural advice when required. Assist with the procurement of contractors and materials for improvement projects and assist with project delivery.
14. Liaises with external organisations including Network Rail, utility providers, landowners and stakeholders that carry out works on or adjacent to Parks and Open Spaces to ensure minimal disruption/impact and ensure the safety of users at all times.
15. Attend meetings and provide technical advice and support for colleagues in relation to grounds maintenance and protecting green infrastructure where Events and Filming take place within parks and open spaces.
16. Responsible for developing the Park Operations Team and fostering a positive and progressive environment, carrying out monthly staff meetings and assessing training and development requirements to ensure staff development and retention.
17. Responsible for adhering to Enable Leisure and Culture's corporate policies including equality, health and safety, staff development, code of conduct, safeguarding and the company's values, vision and mission statement.
18. Undertake other related duties as directed by the Head of Parks, including the provision of advice/assistance to other departmental services and as required to attend meetings outside normal working hours.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
1. Relevant experience in the landscaping and/or horticultural sectors.
2. Previous senior contract/operations management experience.
3. A strong understanding of horticultural processes and equipment.
4. Relevant experience managing sub-contracted or direct labour in the horticultural, maintenance or landscaping sectors.
5. Experience working collaboratively with, and providing support to, internal departments.
6. An awareness of the needs of a range of users, stakeholders and partners in a parks and open spaces setting.
7. Commercially aware; able to prepare budgets, forecasts and manage costs.
8. Maintain existing and develop new strategic relationships with key Wandsworth Council departments.
9. A positive, action-orientated approach.
10. Able to chair meetings with senior contractor representatives and provide accurate information as part of regular reporting.
11. Sound IT skills with a particular emphasis on Excel.
12. Be able to travel around Wandsworth regularly as work requires, and further afield as and when necessary.
13. Be available 'on-call' at weekends on a rota for which an allowance will be paid.