Your new role
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and skilled Principal Analyst who will help to shape decisions at National Highways in making our roads safer, improving network performance and customer satisfaction. You will be playing a pivotal role in supporting the multi-billion-pound road investment strategy.
You will be managing a team of analysts in the Network Analysis and Statistics team, providing direction, and supporting the team to deliver proportionate and impactful analysis, insights and projections that supports the objectives of National Highways.?
National Highways has adopted an informal blended working approach, with flexibility to work between your home and the office at your base location. The base location of this role is flexible across National Highways locations, but travel will be required to attend monthly team meetings (usually in Birmingham), hold one to ones with your team (based in Manchester, Exeter and Birmingham) and attend ad-hoc meetings with other stakeholders.
What you’ll be leading on
- Defining and delivering analytical projects, providing in-depth analysis, analytically assured insight reports and projections in the areas of network performance, road user safety and customer satisfaction that will support evidence-based decisions.
- Identifying where analysis can inform decision making and oversee the design and delivery of relevant and proportionate research, modelling and analysis that support National Highways’ objectives.
- Ensuring that analysis is communicated in a clear and objective way, highlighting relevant risks and opportunities.
- Champion the group's work to both internal and external stakeholders. Working closely with other team leaders to plan and prioritise the analytical programme.
- Building capability of others by sharing knowledge about operational research techniques and best practice within the team and across other business areas.
- Managing a team of analysts, providing direction and supporting the team to deliver proportionate and impactful analysis in a collaborative way in line with National Highways values.
- Champion National Highways’ analytical assurance process and ensure decision makers understand risks and confidence around analysis.
To be successful you'll need
- Experience of leading and developing a team in an analytical environment and excellent written and verbal communication skill with proven record of writing technical papers.
- Experience in a relevant analytical role. A degree in a relevant field (e.g. Statistics, Social Science, Operational Research, Data Science) or relevant qualification.
- Knowledge and experience of a range of operational research, mathematical, statistical or data science techniques with their application to real world problems.
- Experience of data analysis to support decision making and ensuring high levels of analytical quality and assurance.
- A proven ability to manage programmes of work, delivering quality outcomes to deadline and identifying and managing risks.
A bit about us
Our role in the Network Analysis & Statistics group is to provide bespoke analysis and insight to support decision making across the organisation. We develop and report a number of the company’s performance metrics and play a key role in developing the Performance Specification, published within the Roads Investment Strategy. We are located within the Company’s Strategy and Planning Directorate and have help build the evidence base to support future investment planning, working with our analytical colleagues within the Chief Analyst’s Division.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting #3983.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
An informal blended working approach has been adopted for many of our roles across National Highways. We offer many different ways to work flexibly and we’re open to discuss part-time working, job shares, and flexible start and finish times.
Please wait until the interview stage before asking us about flexibility, and we will explore what is possible.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires