This role will require the person to obtain full Security Clearance (SC) You will need to obtain a BPSS check as part of this process. You must currently hold or be eligible and willing to obtain SC. In addition, this role involves direct and/or indirect access to Caveat Material which means there are restrictions on nationalities. Therefore, you must hold sole British Nationality to apply for this role. If you are unsure as to whether you are eligible, please contact me to discuss.
The Principal Engineer (C) - Electrical Engineering (Power) shall provide support to the Engineering Manager and/or external specialists during development and analysis of platform power systems. The Principal Engineer shall act as team lead, managing the day-to-day activities of the team and the production of deliverables. The Principal Engineer shall be responsible for developing and maintaining the competency and skills of the team, project plan and schedule project activities, while managing the resolution of any related issues.
- Develop design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality in accordance with project or business milestones.
- Develop and manage requirements and acceptance criteria specific to a system or product and/or across a system of systems, platform or programme
- Understand the contractual and performance requirements for various systems, and support the definition and associated acceptance criteria and events through design, build, integration, installation and commissioning activities.
- Produce documentation required to support the design review process, including: diagrams; technical specifications; supporting calculations; design evidence and justifications
- Ensure design proving evidence is comprehensive, captured within the requirements management tools and has been endorsed by the appropriate level of authority
- Ensure compliance against contractual requirements and that work is undertaken in accordance with company, safety, environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation.
- Undertake design reviews and presentations to customers.
- Provide technical support to integrated performance and acceptance activities, including acceptance of equipment from suppliers through to system acceptance by the customer
- Review relevant supplier documentation and ensure it is captured and recorded appropriately.
- Support the development of estimates for the scope of work and resources required to deliver it in order to support bids, proposal development and project planning activities for various systems.
- Provide support to the Certificate of Design activities appropriate to the discipline and articulate and present complex technical argument clearly, logically and simply.
- Deliver technical input and engineering solutions in support of build activities, defect resolution and change management
- Technical reports and specifications
- Functional System Diagrams
- System design evidence
- System Safety Justifications.
- Technical presentations
- System calculations, modelling and analysis
- Developing test procedures
- Attending factory acceptance tests
- Configuration and testing of equipment
Qualifications/ knowledge required
- BEng (Hons) / MEng or equivalent.
- CEng (or be able to satisfy requirements for CEng)
- Technical report writing skills.
- Demonstrable experience of engineering lifecycle.
- Knowledge and experience in defence standards whilst not essential would be an advantage.
- Understanding of at least one of the following areas: Power system modelling; generators; switchgear; protection; power electronics.
- In depth understanding of at least one of the following areas:
- Power Systems Architecture
- Power Systems Modelling (Simulation and Analysis)
- Power Generation and Distribution - both AC & DC
- Power System Protection and Co-ordination
- Power System Operation
- Power Electronics
- Power System Earth Fault Monitoring
- Experience of working within a relevant Engineering role to industry codes and standards. Ideal but not essential, experience of supporting submarines or their subsystems/equipment.
- Experience of working in complex design programmes
- Experience of working on Electrical Power Systems covering elements such as Low Voltage AC, DC, Electrical Distribution and Protection, Lighting Systems and Power Systems Modelling