Important: All applicants must be able to obtain Security Clearance *minimum 5 years UK residency*
Working: The role is office/hybrid based with occasional travel to other company/customer's sites in the UK or abroad.
The Principal Systems Engineer will be joining the Project/Systems Engineering function in which provides expertise to all projects through the bid and full development lifecycle.
It ensures that both project and statutory requirements are met and works to improve the effectiveness of the systems design function within the company. It is responsible for the system architecture and integration of the solution. It is responsible for design for cost and design for manufacture.
A professional at this grade applies technical / professional knowledge, making independent judgements based on practice and significant previous experience to support decision making. Often seen as a referral point or more senior team member to escalate more complex problems. Roles will act independently with minimal guidance, and may act as project managers/formal mentors for junior staff.
- Take on Project Engineering Lead role, responsible for ensuring the project engineering team develop and deliver a solution that is technically and commercially acceptable.
- Ensure that the technical solution meets the customer, legislative and business requirements.
- Ensure that the technical solution is designed, developed and then supported in accordance with the company processes and procedures.
- Support product certification and compliance approval (all technical aspects, including contractual & legislative).
- Deliver the systems engineering tasks for a project within on time and on budget, including work package management.
- Generate, understand, and review user requirements.
- Perform requirement analysis and flow down to system and sub-system levels.
- Develop and document system architecture, design, and acceptance and verification strategies.
- Ensure that specification, design, and acceptance information is fully traceable.
- Provide input to project schedules through regular and clear progress reports.
- Support bids by providing technical solutions, estimates, and plans.
- Ideally qualified to degree-level or equivalent experience in a Physics or Engineering based subject, such as; Electronics, Hardware, Computer Science, Software or Systems Engineering etc.
- Experience in negotiating and agreeing system requirements with customers and stakeholders.
- Experience of technical leadership of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Requirements management using a requirements management tool
- A good appreciation of mechanical, electrical and software engineering principals.
- Experience in the Defence / Aerospace or safety regulated environment would be advantageous
- Experience in the Naval / Maritime domain would be advantageous.
For full information, please get in touch!