Your New Role
National Highways have an excellent opportunity for a Principal Engineer to provide deep specialism and technical expertise to engineers involved in the identification and evaluation of asset specific needs and early solutions, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards; to act as the technical authority for the specific asset class(es) in scope. The role may be required to work unsociable hours.
This position will be based in Birmingham or Nottingham.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position.
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Developing asset specific management plans and ensure asset management decisions adhere to defined policies and standards, provide value for money and maximise contribution to the delivery of business objectives.
- Providing specialist technical expertise and assurance in the development of early solutions for renewals and improvement schemes, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria, and taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- To identify and commission survey works to support the improvement and/or renewal of assets; to check and approve technical briefs, reports, specifications, drawings and supporting information.
- Supporting collaboration with engineering colleagues, Project Managers, Service Delivery Managers and Route Managers to ensure forward programme plans reflect asset needs, priorities and strategies.
To be successful you’ll need
- Expert understanding of relevant technical standards, asset policies and strategies.
- Degree in relevant discipline with relevant experience, or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge of asset specific Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network.
- Strong knowledge of asset management decision making (including capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge)
- Experience of developing asset management plans
A bit about us
- Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future. We achieve this through the delivery our capital programme, supporting customers on the road with our Traffic Officer Service and managing incidents effectively.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number ?#3651
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires