UKAEA Site, Culham or Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
Salary: £36,397 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 4 / Level 5
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire or Rotherham, Yorkshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world's energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a number of Project Managers to join UKAEA on both a permanent and 3 year fixed term basis at both our Culham and South Yorkshire locations. You will be involved in a wide variety of projects and will be responsible for directly managing the delivery of project that feed into our corporate mission of making fusion energy a reality.
If you have demonstrable experience of delivering technical projects in a leading / management role with exceptional relationship building and stakeholder management skills, we are keen to hear from you. We are open to considering the posts on a part time basis, or job share and you will have the ability to positively influence at all levels of the business. You must have a degree in a relevant engineering or nuclear field, or equivalent knowledge and will be able to work autonomously, with initiative as well as part of a diverse collaborative team. If you have a dedicated project management qualification, this would be highly advantageous, but not essential.
Depending on level of experience you will you be responsible for:
- Managing projects or work packages with a degree of independence and accountability.
- Acting as the contract project manager - managing contractors, suppliers, and / or agency supplied workers as required by the project
- Authoring and communicating project related documents either for own projects or in support of larger projects
- Ensuring that projects are proactively managed and tracked and for the more experienced level 5, define how the project will be delivered via a project management plan
- Engaging effectively with the broader organisation to successfully deliver projects, and influence others to get the information and progress required
- Accountable for all project documentation and the project lifecycle, reporting progress against milestones, changes and budgets
- Deployment of project resources and evaluating decisions that secure the benefits that the project is tasked to deliver (Level 5)
- Resolving obstacles to strategy delivery and leading the identification and employment of creative solutions to overcoming them (Level 5)
- When submitting an application, please specify in the comments box you preferences in regards to:
Permanent or 3 year fixed term appointment
Location of Culham or Rotherham
Please note that this role is split over two levels and the Level 4 offers a salary of £36,397 - £38,620 (inclusive of MPP) and the Level 5 offers a salary of £49,396 - £52,293 (inclusive of MPP). Your level will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Demonstrable experience of delivering technical projects in a leading/management role
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to positively influence stakeholders at all levels of the business
- A degree in a relevant engineering or nuclear field, or equivalent knowledge gained through experience
- Proven ability to plan, organise and forecast projects effectively, with excellent attention to detail
- IT literate, fluent in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Powerpoint
- Good document / report / minutes writing skills, with good planning and organisational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously, with initiative and minimum supervision, and / or collaboratively as part of a diverse team (as each project requires)
- In addition to the above, the more experienced level is also required to possess:
Strong commercial awareness with the ability to make sound economic decisions that maximise project value
Track record of delivering complex engineering projects to budget, time and cost
Excellent communication, influencing, and collaboration skills
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Project Management qualification(s)
- Experience of purchasing systems and contract management
- Experience of budget management, including purchasing approval
- Familiarity with managing sites & data within Microsoft Sharepoint
- Chartered status in a relevant STEM discipline
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) partner, with the support from our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 29th June 2021. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.