Important: All applicants must be able to obtain Security Clearance *minimum 5 years UK residency*
Working: Possible Flexible and some remote working potentials.
The company have a number of awards, most recently been named as an Award winner (Gold Award) in MoD Defence Employer Recognition Scheme!
"Great company with wide and varied opportunities, lots of interesting projects and very talented people to learn from and grow from" Dec 2021 *Glassdoor review
"Dynamic, Agile company with good career opportunities" July 2021 *Glassdoor review
The R&D Team Leader will manage a team of R&D engineers, physicists, & Subject Matter Experts to deliver both internal and customer funded R&D programmes. They will provide support, guidance and expertise (directly and via the team) to internal project teams, business development teams, as well as via consultancy to third parties.
- Deliver both internal and customer-funded (UK & international) R&D programmes, both directly and through team management.
- Line manage scientific and R&D technical team.
- Directly support & manage resourcing for resolution of project technical issues within Engineering.
- Early technical engagement with customers, supporting the business development functions, and support technical handover from development to delivery.
- Work with Business Development, R&D and consultancy functions to produce & present R&D papers and other material internationally on Ultra's developments, capabilities and solutions.
- Drafting R&D proposals and supporting generation of annual R&D programmes of work.
- To carry out all work ethically, safely and in accordance with the relevant standards and best practice within the industry.
- Advising or mentoring junior team members, including graduates and apprentices.
- Contribution to ongoing development and improvement of engineering/business processes.
- Any other relevant duties as and when required.
- An applied science/engineering degree (or equivalent level of experience in an engineering/scientific role).
- Ability to communicate effectively across a broad range of technical and business disciplines
- Ability to work with multiple tasks, set priorities and make decisions.
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- A background in research & development (R&D).
- Management of multi-disciplinary engineering and/or scientific teams
- Experience in the Defence / Aerospace or safety regulated environment would be advantageous
- Experience within a regulated industry (e.g. Nuclear, pharmaceutical, Aerospace, etc.)
- Knowledge and/or implementation experience in at least one of the following areas would be advantageous, but not required:
- Radiation/Medical Physics and/or Metrology
- Nuclear engineering
- Material science/engineering
- Product development/NPI
- Experience with government funding applications would be an advantage, but not a requirement.
- Familiarity with nuclear regulatory environments outside the UK and US would be an advantage, but not a requirement.
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer with membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant institution would be an advantage