Senior Engineering Superintendent
Portsmouth Naval Base, PO1 3LT
Full time, Permanent 37.5 hours per week Monday- Friday 7am- 3:30pm
Circa £65,000 per annum plus benefits
Serco have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineering Superintendent to join our team based in Portsmouth. This role will be responsible for the technical management, maintenance, and compliance with regulatory standards of assigned vessels within the fleet. You will liaise closely with the Operations Department planning repairs and scheduling downtime to maximise vessel availability to the customer and manage the day-to-day management of delegated technical budget, line management of assigned afloat and/or technical staff.
- Delivering maximum vessel availability to Contract Managers by optimising planned downtime in cooperation with Operations and timely rectification of vessel defects.
- Conducting and reporting of routine vessel inspections to ensure Safety and Material standards are maintained.
- Attending management meetings and providing updates on material state of assigned vessels.
- Managing the technical aspects of vessel operations in alignment with Company SMS and ISM standards including document control and record keeping.
- Ensuring the safe and efficient operation of all assigned vessels, monitoring performance and assisting with other vessels as necessary.
- Monitoring of Class and Flag Survey and Certification status, arranging timely preparation and conduct of surveys to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Preparation and conduct of MoD Authority surveys and inspections as may be necessary.
- Assessment, monitoring and timely rectification of vessel defects in alignment with Company policies.
- Fully utilising, and monitoring compliance with, the Companies planned maintenance and purchasing systems.
- Arrangement and control of Contractors, acting as Authorising Person as necessary on Company vessels.
- Planning, preparation and management of vessel dry-docking and afloat repair periods, including drawing up of repair specifications suitable for tender and liaison with Class and Flag.
- Assisting in the raising and progressing to delivery of goods and services requisitions in alignment with purchasing policy.
- Ensuring continuity of department service delivery in times of absence, by full and effective hand-over.
- Deputising for other Superintendents or the Technical Manager in times of absence and undertaking other tasks as may be delegated from time to time. Ensuring Contract and Operations Managers and DPA are kept appraised of any matter effecting safety or operational delivery.
People & Culture:
- Ensuring that all activities are undertaken in a safe environment and are fully compliant with MCA, Class, Health and Safety, ISM & ISPS codes and any other legal requirements that may be applicable.
- Point of contact for day-to-day management, mentoring and guidance of afloat engineering staff.
- Promoting and fostering good working relationships with all employees
- Exemplifying and promoting ethical behaviours.
- Ensuring all activities are undertaken in alignment with corporate policy, Contract needs and business strategy.
- Monitoring and control of expenditure for assigned vessels against delegated budgets and timely reporting of anticipated variances.
- Approval of requisitions for goods and services within limits of authority.
- Seeking best value for expenditure at all times.
- Seeking and promoting opportunities for efficiencies without detriment to safety or levels of service.
- Ensuring all expenditure is in alignment with governance policies.
- Providing SME input and supporting the Technical Manager in formulation of budgets and financial forecasts.
What you'll need to do the role
- STCW Chief Engineer (Motor) Certificate of Competency level. Lesser certificates may be accepted with significant professional experience at the appropriate level and/or enhanced academic qualifications.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant international maritime codes and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience of computer based planned maintenance systems.
- Financially literate.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of Class and Flag Authorities and regulations.
- Experience and competence with IT systems and office applications.
- Ability to meet MOD security clearance criteria.
- At least 5 years relevant sea-going experience at a senior level in the commercial marine industry.
- In depth knowledge and experience of engineering and technical best practice and processes.
- Experience of successful people management and team development.
- Project and programme management expertise would be beneficial.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Right to work in the UK and achieve SC Clearance
What we offer
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- A safe and supportive culture.
- Interesting and enjoyable work.
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the 'Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.