Senior Engineering Superintendent
Serco Marine Services
Competitive salary plus benefits
Greenock, P15 2AR
Permanent, full time 37.5 hours per week Monday- Friday with requirement to be on call when required evenings and weekends
Serco have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineering Superintendent to join our existing team. Reporting to the Regional Technical Manager this role will be responsible for the technical management, maintenance, and compliance with regulatory standards of assigned vessels within our contract. The position will be responsible for day-to-day management of delegated budgets and assigned vessel crews whilst liaising closely with the operations department to maximise vessel availability to our customers and facilitate contract delivery. This role will be based in Greenock with monthly requirement to travel to Kyle of Lochalsh site.
- Delivering maximum vessel availability to Contract Managers by optimising planned downtime in cooperation with Operations and timely rectification of vessel defects.
- Conducting and reporting of routine vessel inspections to ensure Safety and Material standards are maintained.
- Forming part of the Engineering out of hours "on call" duty rota as required.
- Managing the technical aspects of vessel operations in alignment with Company SMS and ISM standards including document control and record keeping.
- Ensuring the safe and efficient operation of all assigned vessels, monitoring performance and assisting with other vessels as necessary.
- Monitoring of Class and Flag Survey and Certification status, arranging timely preparation and conduct of surveys as required. Maintaining assigned vessels regulatory compliance at all times.
- Preparation and conduct of MoD Authority surveys and inspections as may be necessary.
- Assessment, monitoring and timely rectification of vessel defects in alignment with Company policies.
- Fully utilising, and monitoring compliance with, the Companies planned maintenance and purchasing systems.
- Arrangement and control of Contractors, acting as Authorising Person as necessary on Company vessels.
- Planning, preparation, and management of vessel dry-docking and afloat repair periods, including drawing up of repair specifications suitable for tender and liaison with Class and Flag. Supervision may require on-site attendance at out of port repair facilities for prolonged periods from time to time.
- Assisting in the raising and progressing to delivery of goods and services requisitions in alignment with purchasing policy.
- Ensuring continuity of department service delivery in times of absence, by full and effective hand-over.
- Deputising for other Superintendents or the Technical Manager in times of absence and undertaking other tasks as may be delegated from time to time. Ensuring Contract and Operations Managers and DPA are kept appraised of any matter effecting safety or operational delivery.
People & Culture:
- Ensuring that all activities are undertaken in a safe environment and are fully compliant with MCA, Class, Health and Safety, ISM & ISPS codes and any other legal requirements that may be always applicable to the contract.
- Point of contact for day-to-day management, mentoring and guidance of afloat engineering staff.
- Promoting and fostering good working relationships with all employees
- Exemplifying and promoting ethical behaviours.
- Ensuring all activities are undertaken in alignment with corporate policy, Contract needs and business strategy.
- Monitoring and control of expenditure for assigned vessels against delegated budgets and timely reporting of anticipated variances.
- Approval of requisitions for goods and services within limits of authority.
- Always seeking best value for expenditure.
- Seeking and promoting opportunities for efficiencies without detriment to safety or levels of service.
- Ensuring all expenditure is in alignment with governance policies.
- Providing SME input and supporting the Technical Manager in formulation of budgets and financial forecasts.
What you'll need to do the role:
- Must be in a commutable distance to Greenock (60 mins max)
- Qualified to Class I (Motor) Certificate of Competency level. Class II may be accepted with significant professional experience at the appropriate level.
- Thorough knowledge of ISM Code and ISO 9000.
- Knowledge and experience of computer based planned maintenance systems.
- Financially literate.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of Class and Flag Authorities and regulations.
- Experience and competence with IT systems and office applications.
- At least 5 years relevant sea-going experience at a senior level in the commercial marine industry.
- In depth knowledge and experience of engineering and technical best practice and processes.
- Experience of successful people management and team development.
- Full UK drivers' licence.
- Ability to meet MOD security clearance criteria.
- Previous experience as a technical superintendent - desirable
- Project and programme management expertise - desirable
What we offer:
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive App, Simply Health Plans and more.
- Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals such as Merlin Attractions, Mobile Phone discounts, Cinema discounts, Leisure and Hospitality discounts.
- A fantastic culture and supportive team where you'll get the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- Company discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- Interesting and enjoyable work.
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities.
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.