Senior Payroll Officer - 6 Month FTC
Peterborough Based Office - Remote working available
Part Time- and Full-Time hours considered
Highly Competitive Salary
Serco is one of the leading public sector providers of support services, working with central and local governments to provide customer-facing and back-office functions. We pride ourselves on a high-quality service, often supporting some of the most vulnerable people in our society - and as a member of the team you'll ensure that we continue to deliver this incredibly important work with us at our partnership with Peterborough City Council.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Payroll Officer with experience in Local Government to join our team on a 6-month FTC and hit the ground running.
- Keep up to date with all relevant technical legislation and best practice. Ensure that legislation and policy is accurately interpreted and applied, and where necessary, work with stakeholders and others to resolve queries. Provide specialist advice and support to Payroll Officers and staff as required.
- Problem solve to overcome complex day to day issues raised by the wider team.
- Work with the Payroll and HR Support Manager and operational support team to ensure that technology meets and will continue to meet all business needs in line with changing legislation and working practices.
- Assist the Payroll and HR Support Manager with service delivery and work with colleagues to deliver service improvements. Assist with the development of processing systems and procedures to ensure all processing staff processes work effectively and efficiently in line with best practice
- Provide specialist knowledge to assist with the introduction of changes to the statutory and system process framework and the development and implementation of revised working practices.
- Ensure all payroll and pensions output is in accordance with statutory requirements and service level agreements and that all payrolls, third party payments and PAYE deductions are reconciled monthly, and any discrepancies are resolved
- Ensure that data protection is applied to all payroll records. Ensure that retention of payroll records is in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Produce complex payroll including overpayment calculations and recovery.
- Sign off monthly payrolls and BACS as allocated.
- Draw down correct external customer funds on a monthly basis funding is properly authorised and available.
What you need?
- Understanding of Payroll and Pensions processing and legislation
- Must have strong experience in Local Government Payroll
- Must have knowledge of Local Government T&Cs
- Experience using ResourceLink payroll system (Highly Desirable but not essential, candidates with this experience will be prioritised)
- To have a working knowledge of document management systems
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide and diverse range of customers
- Experience of using Microsoft Windows and Office software.
- Demonstrable experience of working to tight deadlines within a performance driven office
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with a variety of customers
What we offer?
- Competitive salaries with annual reviews.
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive App, Simply Health Plans, Annual Leave Purchase Scheme, free flu vaccines and more.
- Access to a huge range of discounts and exclusive deals such as Merlin Attractions, Mobile Phone discounts, Cinema discounts, Leisure, and Hospitality discounts.
- A fantastic culture and supportive team where you'll get the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
- Interesting and enjoyable work.
- Committed to professional and personal development with a wide range of training and coaching opportunities to expand your capabilities.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the 'Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.