Your new role
Here at National Highways, we have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Project Manager to be based at our Bristol Office, to join us on our A303 improvement scheme as we move toward the construction phase.
As part of the most direct route between the South East and the South West, the A303 between Amesbury and Berwick Down (Stonehenge) plays a big part in the daily lives of tens of thousands of people. The overall value of the scheme is an estimated £1.7bn
In this role you will work closely with the Programme Manager (Scheme Project Manager) to ensure the smooth delivery of the project as well as taking a lead on key project workstreams.
What you’ll be leading on
- Commission and manage the performance of contractors, delivery partners and expert consultancy support, ensuring that project objectives and requirements are clearly understood. Review task orders for commissioned work and ensure output is aligned to the Client Scheme Requirements, project specification and National Highways Corporate Objectives.
- Lead the security management of the project and the work of specialist contractors and the requirements of other contractors as it relates to security management.
- Setting clear expectations for health safety and welfare management at a project level and taking appropriate remedial action where necessary.
- Identification and evaluation of risks, issues, opportunities and constraints associated specific project activities, escalating where appropriate. Where necessary, develop, agree and implement solutions to overcome these.
- Manage, lead and motivate the team of Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers, to ensure effective performance is delivered and to support their personal development.
To be successful:
- An experienced Project Manager ideally with a professional qualification such as APM or equivalent.
- Have a track record of managing teams to successful development of complex, projects or high-profile projects in a relevant industry.
- Be able to manage and build strong relationships with complex stakeholders and use influencing skills to positive effect.
- Strong evidence of commercial skills with proven ability to negotiate and manage contracts to deliver outcomes and drive value for money.
- Demonstrable experience of managing the development of project plans and detailed stage plans in conjunction with delivery partners.
- Experience of leading and developing a team of people.
A bit about us
Major Projects purpose statement
"A leading, intelligent, commercially astute major projects client organisation. Responsible for the initiation and delivery of national and regional road infrastructure asset investments, that safely deliver important outcomes for our customers and stakeholders."
Complex Infrastructure Programme (CIP)
Complex Infrastructure Programme (CIP) is one of the three programmes that make up the Major Projects Directorate within National Highways. We deliver Major Project’s most challenging and complex schemes through innovation and exploring new ways to deliver projects
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact email@example.com quoting reference number 4209
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires