Your new role
Are you a Senior Engineer with experience in structures renewals, schemes, and programmes?
Looking to develop your engineering knowledge and skills?
Then National Highways have the role for you!
We have exciting opportunities for Senior Structures Engineers to join us in the Operations Team. The teams you could be working in would be asset management, scheme development and structural assessment where you will lead and coordinate the activities and resources involved in the identification and development of early solutions for the maintenance of the areas Highways structures.
The role will be worked on a hybrid basis and office days will be based in Bedford. You will be required to drive as part of your role, and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position.
What you’ll be leading on
- Development of renewal and maintenance schemes, including the compiling and checking of relevant documents, evidence, and options for value management, considering new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- Identifying and evaluating asset specific needs to contribute to the development of the future maintenance work programme.
- Development of technical briefs provided to the design services contractor for improvement and renewals work. Optioneering and preliminary design of structures renewals and maintenance schemes.
- Identifying, preparing briefs, and supporting delivery of survey works/studies that support the improvement and/or renewal of assets.
- Development of structures asset management documents such as management of substandard structures, management of post tensioned structures etc.
- Development of approval in principal documentation, structural reviews, and assessments along with the forward works programme.
To be successful you’ll need
- We’re looking for candidates with the following experience/skills, but ideally would be interested in speaking to Senior Engineers, from any area of expertise, who’ve worked on structures previously.
- Degree or HND in relevant discipline and appropriate experience in development of structures renewals schemes and programmes.
- Hold or working towards Chartered or Incorporated status with the ICE or equivalent professional body.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant Design Manual for Roads & Bridges standards and strong knowledge of structures asset management.
- Sound knowledge of Construction Design Management 2015 and associated duties.
- Experience in dealing with vulnerable structural elements such as post-tensioning, half-joints, hinge-joints etc. (desirable).
A bit about us
- Operations is at the heart of keeping the strategic road network moving and ensuring our customers get the best possible experience when using our roads.
- We address over 39,000 customer enquiries every month, plan and deliver all maintenance activities on the network, drive efficiencies and improvements across our systems and roads, and respond to incidents across 4,500 miles of motorways and major A-roads that we manage. All to make sure National Highways customers have safer, smoother, and more reliable journeys.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact email@example.com quoting reference number #4005
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires