Your new role
National Highways have an excellent opportunity for a Site Supervisor to join our team in Operations. As a Site Supervisor, you will play a key role in the delivery of major maintenance and minor improvement schemes across the South East region. Reporting directly to the Construction Assurance Manager, you will undertake construction surveillance and assurance inspections to verify quality of works undertaken by external contractors.
Please note that you may be required to work predominantly unsociable hours including nights and weekends for which there will be paid overtime and/or an out of hours allowance.
This role can be based at our Maidstone, Basingstoke or Guildford office.
You will also be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you’ll be leading on
- Assuring the completion of planned works to agreed standards and escalate any concerns to the Construction Assurance Manager (CAM), in line with agreed governance agreements.
- Ensuring that all works are constructed in line with: CDM regulations, HSE Legislation, Chapter 8 requirements, Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works (MCHW) and in accordance with the drawings and specification as designed.
- Ensuring Project Managers receive regular and timely feedback on scheme construction progress, risks, early warnings, design related issues, and act as the initial point of escalation for any on-site issues that need to be resolved.
- Acting as liaison between all key supply chain partners and co-ordinate the delivery programme, ensuring buildability reviews are carried out on all projects.
- Maintaining good liaison with Construction Assurance Manager, Project Managers and Commercial & Procurement colleagues, providing relevant and timely information on Early Warnings and Compensation Events
- Identifying, in consultation with CAMs and contractors, improvements which eliminate or reduce construction related risks and identifying and managing the rectification of defects.
To be successful
- Proven highway/structures and maintenance/construction experience; experience of working on high-speed Trunk Road/Motorway Networks is essential.
- Good understanding of the DMRB, MCHW, Chapter 8 and CDM Regulations
- CSCS Card Holder, SSSTS or SMSTS Certificate is essential.
- Ability to execute tasks independently yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support.
- Computer literate with knowledge of MS Office Excel, Word and Outlook
A bit about us
- Operations is at the heart of keeping the strategic road network moving and ensuring our customers get the best possible experience when using our roads.
- We address over 39,000 customer enquiries every month, plan and deliver all maintenance activities on the network, drive efficiencies and improvements across our systems and roads, and respond to incidents across 4,500 miles of motorways and major A-roads that we manage. All to make sure National Highways customers have safer, smoother, and more reliable journeys.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact email@example.com quoting reference number #4212
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check
- 3 year employment history references
- DBS criminal record check
- Social media and adverse journalism check
- Driving licence check (if applicable)
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable)
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires