International Fire Training Centre
Darlington, DL2 1NU
12 months FTC
£22,000 plus benefits
Serco have an exciting opportunity to join their team as an Site Technician based at the International Fire Training Centre in Darlington.
You'll be assisting the Technical Services Manager with the efficient and effective day to day operation of the International Fire Training Centre. You will carry out work activities to support safe and effective practical fire training exercises on the fireground and to carry out other duties within the media bay, stores and other locations when required.
Please note, the hours for this role are as follows.
Monday - Thursday 0815-1630
Friday 0815 - 1245
- To ensure that operational equipment and other essential items are fully operable and correctly in place prior to assisting with practical training exercises
- Work in accordance with IFTC Policy and Procedures.
- Provide fire training scenarios.
- Liaise with the instructional staff to ensure the effective delivery of all practical exercises.
- Ensure the fireground and associated buildings are kept in a clean and tidy condition.
- Report & repair defects and the need to maintain and repair all items of equipment within the scope of knowledge and capabilities of the individual.
- Provide overtime cover as and when needed
- Wear appropriate PPE for training exercises, including breathing apparatus or any other RPE. Undertaking of Breathing Apparatus (BA) tests/checks to the level of competence proven by qualification.
- Ensure compliance is carried out, within all areas such as Stores, BA, Media Bay and Fireground
What you'll need to do the role:
- Ability to cope under pressure, with conflicting demands of customer and colleagues.
- Organisational skills and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility and a positive mindset
- Previous fire experience - Preferred
- QHSE understanding - Preferred
- Breathing Apparatus - Desirable but not required
- Knowledge/understanding of general fire operations - Desirable but not required
What we offer:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- Annual leave purchase scheme.
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Free onsite parking.
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Health Cash Plans, free flu jabs and more.
- A wealth of career development training to suit your future aspirations. These range from role specific training, leadership coaching, formal study and much more to support you to build your career with Serco.
- A safe and supportive culture.
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Gold Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.