Spacecraft Controller - Skynet
Corsham, SN13 9NP
Permanent/ Full time - Shift Work -39 hours per week
Competitive salary plus benefits
Serco Defence are the current holders of a prestigious contract which provides secure military satellite communications services to governments, armed forces, International Treaty Organisations, and businesses around the world.
We currently have a full-time opportunity for a Spacecraft Controller to join the team in one of our three Space Operations Centres. Reporting to the Spacecraft Operations Manager, this key role will be responsible for designated aspects of spacecraft control as specified in the current space control regulations. Spacecraft Controllers (SCs) are categorised spacecraft operators who work shifts to provide 24-hour coverage in the Space Operations Centres (SOCs) for which an allowance will be paid.
The primary focus of this contract is to provide the UK Ministry of Defence's secure Skynet satellite communications service to the UK Armed Forces. The terms of the contract, and the additional in-built capacity of Skynet, mean we can also provide secure communication services to non-UK armed forces, governments, organisations, and businesses.
- Ensure all the necessary Skynet Spacecraft operations and manoeuvres are completed accurately and timely.
- Prepare and configure all space and ground segment equipment to support operations
- Ensure all authorised operational policies, processes and procedures are adhered to and are completed in a safe and timely manner, but not limited to:
- Operational Procedures.
- Flight Operational Procedures.
- Correct and timely configuration of the Tracking Telemetry & Command (TT&C) path
- Standing or Temporary Orders.
- Correct acknowledgement, recording, and response to Spacecraft and Ground Segment alarms.
- Correct operation of Flight Auto-Procedures either manually or initiated by the Task Scheduler, ensuring the correct argument files are loaded.
- Correct and timely configuration and initiation of Spacecraft Ranging as scheduled.
- Raising relevant Signals, Observations e-mails, Payload Impact Statements, SCCORES, UFRs, and DCRs as required.
- Successfully completing the Annual Category 2 Formal Appraisal Board.
- Maintaining appropriate Spacecraft Controller Currency Levels recorded in the Currency Matrix and monthly completion of knowledge assessments.
- Completion of any appropriate task raised that enhances the performance, efficiency, safety, productivity, or service delivery of the Space Operations Centre.
- Ensure compliance with Serco's Mandatory and Essential training requirements.
- Represent Serco and the Customer at meetings and briefings as required.
- Comply with, and ensure adherence to, the QHSE, FIRE, HR and Security Policies. Operate from any SOC for periods of duty as scheduled in Watchlist.
What you'll need:
- Intensive training in Orbital theory, Spacecraft Systems and satellite Operations including theoretical and practical examinations.
- Training in Satellite Communication basics will be required to support ground segment reconfigurations.
- Some coding may be required to create/enhance Operator User Interfaces.
- A-level or equivalent in mathematics and a science subject.
- A passion for STEM and space technology and achievements as a whole.
What we offer:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- Annual leave purchase scheme.
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Flexible working options.
- Free onsite parking.
- Serco discounts which include supermarkets, cinemas, Merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, as well as discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- A range of benefits to support the health and wellbeing of you and your family such as Employee Assistance Programme, Thrive app, Health Cash Plans, and more.
- A wealth of career development training to suit your future aspirations. These range from role specific training, leadership coaching, formal study and much more to support you to build your career with Serco.
- A safe and supportive culture.
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We're also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.